Adventures of a Manboy and his Father

The Adventures of a Manboy and his Father

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Catch Up...

Well… its been awhile. I’ve moved into my home in Uganda and classes have already started, but lets backtrack just a bit.

We arrived in Uganda very tired, albeit quite excited. Josh and I were really excited to meet new people and get into a schedule. Once arriving we stayed at the university for one night and then were taken to our new African homes. Believe it not Josh and I were randomly paired up to stay together, and as we were approaching our house there was a tired silence in the air. However, our African host mom ran out screaming for joy and enveloped me into her very large arms. Sometimes a good hug is all you need to completely change your attitude. Haha.

We stayed in their house for 2 days, were treated like royalty and then traveled with the rest of the Group to Rwanda where we studied, missions, development, and the genocide.
First lets talk about the missions and development… we talked to many different missionaries in all different capacities in Rwanda. Some were starting up businesses, others facilitated the selling of local crafts, others worked with different projects that centered on Discipleship through development and encouraging independent self-initiated reform. Pretty awesome stuff. Development work is a really tricky, long process where sometimes your heart has to be put on hold in order to long-term love the people, and not just satisfy their immediate needs.

The genocide… Its not possible to communicate everything that I encountered. Straight up. It’s one thing to watch Hotel Rwanda, and another thing to stand in front piles and piles of bones. It’s commendable to encourage forgiveness and reconciliation, but its hard to listen to a guy who squeezed under the bodies his dying family to escape his murdering neighbors. Man… its hard sometimes. A country of 10,000,000 where 1,000,000 were killed. 500,000 women survived rape (often by men known to have AIDS) and 2/3 of the country either displaced, fleeing, or held hostage.

That being said, I know it can’t matter to most of you. Numbers are impersonal and for me, impossible to grasp and associate with real people or real pain. I did however look in the eyes of the victims, and their stories are impossible to discount or shake off.

After Rwanda we went for a debrief and relaxation time on an island in southern Uganda. Definitely one of the most beautiful places on the earth.

On the way back, our bus broke down, we told life stories, sang Disney songs, and saw some zebras.

I am also beginning to think that this will be the hardest academic semester thus far in my career. Thank goodness for the grace of Pass or Fail when transferring grades.

I love you guys… Pray for me that I will love Jesus Christ with all that I am, that I will seize the many opportunities to gain discipline, that I can be a servant in my house, and for my friend Matt Lester.

Peace out from Africa,
drew

1 comment:

  1. Hi Drew! Thanks for keeping a blog. I enjoy reading it and praying specific things for you! May the Lord bless you and keep you; may His face shine upon you and give you peace!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete