Adventures of a Manboy and his Father

The Adventures of a Manboy and his Father

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ubuntu- I am, becuase we are.

And just like that the lights went out. Everything was pitch black. The light abandoned us through tiny pinpricks that instantly appeared in the sky. My hand stalled and a smile crossed my face, powers out again. In a way, it was comforting. I resumed my task and began stirring the liver again until the sizzling started to lessen. I glanced back up. The sky captivated me, drawing me in. The stars are different here you know. Like most of life here, half of the horizon boasts close variations of familiar designs, while the other side is captivatingly novel. I was becoming overwhelmed by GOD's goodness through His creation, when I felt it. The old woman was staring at me from the darkness across the charcoal stove. I couldn't see her, but I felt it. Our eyes locked in the blackness, and in a quiet way it was pacifying. The woman was of a different time, dark skinned blurred by years of memories. She crept with a powerful hunch, and her tongue only named the world through the words of her people. She was a mystery, and I knew she stared at me. I gazed back into the emptiness unafraid. In the moment, we saw each other for who we were. Not just physical bodies, or contrived personalities, simply us. Our essences mingling, I was lost in our invisible gaze. Then, without warning, the lights came back on, and I saw that we were strangers.

1 comment:

  1. DREW! I was reading through your posts and I saw this one! I can't believe the title. My friend lived in Africa for over a year (she started an after school program in kwazulu-natal south africa). Well, she's back and raising money for the school (Thanda, which means love in zulu). Anyways, there was a benefit concert at the beta last friday and it was called Ubuntu - I am because we are. I just found it ironic that I saw this only 3 days later. I miss you and wish I could talk to you about life... I hope Africa is amazing and that God is revealing His Holy Spirit to you

    ReplyDelete